Founded in 1970 as NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, Legal Momentum is the nation's oldest legal advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the rights of women and girls. Legal Momentum is a leader in establishing litigation and public policy strategies to secure equality and justice for women. Its groundbreaking work on behalf of women and girls is currently focused on freedom from violence against women, equal work and equal pay, the health of women and girls, strong families, and strong communities. Its ambitious and wide-ranging legal program is known for its cutting-edge legal theories and as a source of expert assistance to other women's rights attorneys and organizations.
Legal Momentum occupies a unique position as a multi-issue organization dedicated solely to women's rights. Its strategic litigation, advocacy and public education programs use the power of law to open opportunities closed to women and to ensure that all women can build safe and secure lives for themselves and their families. Legal Momentum addresses these issues through five programs, and through the work of its Policy and Communications offices.
Projects & Campaigns
Reports & Resources
- Young Men Are Still Better Off Than Young Women 
- Sex, Lies & Stereotypes: How Abstinence-Only Programs Harm Women and Girls 
- Abstinence-Only Programs: Harmful to Women and Girls 
- Fight for Same-Sex Marriage 
- Key Legal Cases for Women's Equality: 1873 - 2007 
- CPCs: Fake Abortion Clinics Deceive Women 
- Intimate Partner Sexual Assault: Adjudicating this Hidden Dimension of Domestic Violence 
- Women: Now Learning More, But Still Earning Less ,